WordPress is an open source content management system (or ‘CMS’) which started its life as a blogging platform in 2003. By January 2015 over 23% of the world’s top ten million websites were powered by WordPress, and with an estimated 60 million websites using it WordPress is the internet’s most popular blogging platform.
But WordPress is so much more than just a blogging platform…
Maintained and constantly improved by hundreds of developers all over the world, WordPress isn’t just a piece of software… it’s a community, with a huge number of websites dedicated to providing help, tips and coding advice to users.
Beyond the core functionality of WordPress – the ability to publish posts and pages – there are themes and plugins to make every WordPress website unique. So whether you need a blog, a simple information (or ‘brochure‘) website, a calendar with bookable events, a business directory, a portfolio or gallery, or even an online store, it can be achieved with WordPress simply by installing and configuring plugins.
why we ♥ WordPress
WordPress is great to work with, if you’re a website creator; but it’s also a great system for clients to work with once the website is built. As a CMS it’s very easy and intuitive to use; if you can use Microsoft Word to create and edit text, you can use WordPress to keep your website’s content fresh.
- Choice: we ♥ WordPress because there are thousands of ready-made themes available to buy or to download for free, which saves us a lot of work when it comes to designing and building websites for our clients (that’s why we’re able to offer WordPress websites to our clients at such great prices).
- Flexibility: we ♥ WordPress because you can do a lot with a WordPress website, just by installing plugins – many of which are free to use. We can easily transform a basic blogging platform into a highly functional website with image slideshows, booking engines, multi-lingualism and even ecommerce capabilities.
- Ease of use: we ♥ WordPress because it makes content management seriously easy, so our clients love it. And as it’s pretty straightforward for designers and developers to use, we love it too.
- Community: we ♥ WordPress because it’s supported by a vast community of developers and users who are on hand to answer questions and suggest workarounds for adding even more functionality.
- Always evolving: we ♥ WordPress because, as it is open source, the technology is always improving and evolving. In a world where Google seems to write the rules for using the internet, this is especially useful. For example, in 2015 Google is penalising websites that don’t use ‘responsive’ designs to make them mobile-friendly. With WordPress and a good theme like Canvas by Woothemes, this isn’t a problem.
- Affordable: we ♥ WordPress because so much of its extended functionality requires little more than a few tweaks to a plugin, which means we can avoid the cost of developing custom code and provide our clients with a beautiful, functional website for as little as £495.
need some help?
If there’s anything you don’t understand or if you’d like to ask a pre-sales question (or place an order), please get in touch.